Now that we have one feasting holiday in the past, it’s time to think about the foods we’re consuming and make an attempt at healthier options for not only us but, our families as well. These three classic holiday recipes are delicious as is but, the Bari Life team has taken them up a notch and added healthy substitutions to aid everyone on their calorie crushing crusade. With a little time and no extra energy anyone can take an everyday recipe and twist the ingredients to make it more nutritious. Challenge yourself to try one of these recipes this holiday season and you will be so happy you did.
Happy Holidays from the Bari Life Team!
Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
1 (14 ounce) package of whole wheat stuffing mix. Use whatever brand you prefer. 1 teaspoon of ground sage 1 cup of chopped celery ½ package of Bari Life Chicken Bouillon Soup 1 package of Bari Life Cream of Chicken Soup 1 package of Bari Life Cream of Broccoli Soup 2 Boneless, skinless turkey breasts – baked and shredded ¼ cup of melted almond butter or extra virgin olive oil
1. Pre-cook the turkey breasts, shred and set aside. Keep the oven on and leave at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the stuffing mix, sage, celery and Bari Life chicken Bouillon. Mix together with hands to incorporate ingredients together then set aside.
3. In two separate small bowls, put the Bari Life Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Broccoli Soup. Mix both with 8 ounces of warm water, whisk and set aside. (Follow instructions on the back of the box).
4. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and sprinkle 1/3 of the stuffing mixture into the bottom. Then place ½ of the turkey on top of that and pour the Bari Life Cream of Chicken Soup over the top.
5. Sprinkle another 1/3 of the stuffing mixture into the pan and cover with the other ½ of the turkey. Then pour the Bari Life Cream of Broccoli Soup over this layer and sprinkle the remainder of the stuffing mix over the top.
6. Slowly drizzle the melted almond butter or extra virgin olive oil over all and press firmly to insure the casserole is packed well.
7. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) for 20 to 30 mins.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
Mock Mashed Potatoes
1 medium head of cauliflower 1 tablespoon of fat free cream cheese, softened ½ teaspoon of minced garlic ½ package of Bari Life Chicken Bouillon Soup 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper ½ teaspoon of chopped or dried chives 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1. Set a pot of water to boil over high heat.
2. Clean and cut the cauliflower into small pieces and boil for about 6 minutes or until soft. Drain and pat dry with paper towels without allowing the cauliflower to cool too much.
3. With a blender and a bowl, (you can also use a food processor) blend cauliflower, cream cheese, garlic, Bari Life Chicken Bouillon and ground pepper until smooth and creamy.
4. Garnish with chives and serve.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 6 Minutes
Green Beans with Creamy Mushrooms and Shallots
1 ¾ pounds of fresh green beans, trimmed 1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil 2 large shallots, thinly sliced. (roughly ½ cup) 1 package of Bari Life Chicken Bouillon Soup. Split ¾ and mix with 6oz of water. Leave the other ¼ package dry 2 teaspoons of cornstarch 8oz of fresh mushrooms, cleaned and drained 1/3 cup of fat free Greek yogurt Salt and ground pepper
1. Blanch green beans in a pot of boiling water for about 6 minutes or until tender and drain.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 ½ teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and toss in the shallots. Cook over medium heat until tender and starting to brown. Remove from heat and place in a small bowl. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
3. Whisk together the ¾ mixture of Bari Life chicken Bouillon Soup and cornstarch until dissolved.
4. In the skillet put 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on high heat and throw in the mushrooms. Cook about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
5. Reduce heat to low and add in the shallots. Whisk in the Bouillon mixture and cook until thick (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat.
6. Take the Greek yogurt and the remaining ¼ package of Bari Life Chicken Bouillon Soup and mix together with a fork.
7. Stir in yogurt mixture, ½ teaspoons of salt and season with pepper.
8. Toss in the green beans, give it a mix and serve warm.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes