Bariatric Hair, Skin & Nails Formula
Hair loss after bariatric surgery can be instigated by nutritional and non-nutritional causes. The most common type of hair loss after bariatric surgery is called telogen effiuvium (TE). This condition occurs when there is a reduction in the number of hair follicles of growing hair. Essentially there will be more dormant/dying hair follicles compared to those in the anagen phase (active growing follicles). TE is actually not well defined due to very little research in the medically community.
There are certain conditions that can put people at risk for hair loss including, major surgery, acute weight loss, crash dieting, low protein intake, iron or zinc deficiency and hormonal disruption. Patients who have had bariatric surgery will fall into these at risk categories. After the major surgery patients will experience acute, rapid weight loss and will also be at risk for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
Bari Life has created a product with ingredients that are considered to be essential in promoting good hair, skin and nail health in the new Bariatric, Hair Skin and Nail Formula. Rich in Biotin, methylfolate (folate), vitamin C, zinc and Cynatine HNS, a patented, solubilized keratin. The formula is now delivered in a capsule taken three times a day.
Keratin is a mixture of fibrous proteins that is essential for cell structure, which make up the outer layer of skin and is a major component of hair and nails. The development of this newly patented process makes the keratin molecule more bio-available for absorption.
Benefits of Cynatine® HNS:
- Accelerates hair growth
- Increases hair thickness by 12%
- Decreases hair loss by 30%
- Improves strength, brightness and appearance of hair
Biotin is essential to build and keep healthy fats in the skin, which keeps the skin moist and healthy. Biotin is key in fat and sugar metabolism and can also help to maintain blood sugar levels. It also helps to produce keratin, collagen and elastin.
Vitamin C is also essential for building connective tissues like skin, tendons, joint cartilage and bone and zinc is important for growth, protein synthesis, antioxidant mechanisms and wound healing.
Bariatric surgery can put patients at risk for developing vitamin and mineral deficiencies including biotin, iron and zinc, all of which if deficient can cause poor hair, skin and nail health.
Bari Life’s Bariatric Hair Skin and Nails Formula is designed to work in conjunction with Bari Life Bariatric Multivitamin Tablets and Bari Life Multivitamin Powders for a complete vitamin regimen helping to reduce the risks of vitamin deficiencies and their side effects including protecting the health of hair, skin and nails.
- Beer C, Wood S, Veghte RH. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2013 Jul 31. [Cynatine(®) HNS]
- Sano T, et al. Arch Dermatol Res. 2005 Feb;296(8):359-65. [Keratin]
- Matsuo M, et al. Gerontology. 2004 Jul-Aug;50(4):193-9
- Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline (2000). Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2000
- Iorizzo M, et al. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2004 Jul;3(3):138-44
- Hochman LG, Scher RK, Meyerson MS. Cutis 1993;51:303–5. [Biotin]
- Antony AC. Megaloblastic Anemias. In: Hoffman R, Benz Jr EJ, Shattil SJ, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles