- 4x Beef with Pasta Protein Soup
- 4x Cream of Chicken Protein Soup
- 4x Cream of Broccoli Protein Soup
- 4x Protein Hot Chocolate Mix
- 5x Instant Chocolate Protein Drink (6 packs)
- 4x Instant Pineapple Orange Protein Drink (6 packs)
*Substitutions may be made based on individual product availability.
– Get adequate protein per day:
→ Women: >60 grams
→ Men: >75 grams
→ BPD/DS: >90 grams
– Begin Powder Multivitamins
– Keep the pouch safe while it heals
Post-surgery, you’ll go straight into Phase 1 (the liquid diet). It lasts 2-4 weeks depending on your surgery type, and during this phase, you’ll consume only liquids with a goal of getting enough fluids and hydration to help with healing.
The most important reason for a liquid phase is to help you stay hydrated. Immediately after surgery, it’s common for patients to feel nauseous and experience vomiting. This can cause severe dehydration which can send you back to the hospital in severe cases.
Also, right after surgery the GI tract is healing and isn’t ready for rough or bulky foods. Liquids are gentle on your surgery site, you don’t want any pressure or stretching happening at this point post-op.
Most liquid diets, especially clear liquid diets include recommended fluids like this:
- Apple juice
- Grape juice
- Chicken broth
- Decaffeinated coffee or tea
The problem is that none of these fluids have protein. Getting enough protein after bariatric surgery is important for wound healing and for feeling full, which is tough on a liquid diet.
Bari life’s answer is to utilize high-quality liquid protein supplements. This includes:
As well as other approved fluids like:
- Sugar-free sports drinks
- Crystal light
- Flavored waters (flat, not sparkling)
- V8 Fusion light, Diet V8 Splash & V8 Juice (not dilute)
- Skim or 1% Milk
- All store brand juices (Welches, Juicy Juice, Mots for Tots…etc.) dilute regular version, do not dilute light version
- Decaffeinated tea and coffee
- G2 by Gatorade
- V8 Fusion, Smoothie (diluted)
Liquid Phase Juice Rule:
- If the juice has > 15g of carbs per 8 oz, dilute the juice with water 50% (½ water ½ juice)
- If the juice has < 15g of carbs per 8 oz, do not dilute with water.
- Mix up and drink 6 Bari Life servings per day
- Add in diluted juice throughout the day if you need some carbohydrates for energy, just follow the juice rules above
- Don’t add any other foods/beverages (other than approved juices) during this time period