Most bariatric surgery centers require patients to start a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) for the weeks leading up to the surgery. This accomplishes two things:
- The VLCD boosts weight loss during the weeks prior to surgery
- The VLCD shrinks the left lobe of the liver, which helps the surgeon access the stomach more easily
By rapidly losing weight and shrinking the liver prior to surgery the risk of complications is reduced significantly. It also helps to prepare you for the necessary 4 Phase Diet that is prescribed immediately after surgery.
Putting together your own Pre-Op Bariatric Diet can be difficult, that’s why we made the Bari Life Pre-Op Diet.
The Bari Life Pre-Op Bariatric Diet is designed to put you in the best condition possible to undergo a surgical procedure. Our diet should help reduce the size of your liver, and in doing so will minimize the risk factors that come with surgery. If you follow the diet as prescribed, you will lose weight and reduce the chances of complications during your procedure.
The duration of the pre-op bariatric diet depends on your individual BMI. See the below chart to decide which duration best suits you. For help finding your BMI use this calculator:
- BMI < 38: Exempt from the diet, but you will follow the 2 days of liquids prior to surgery*
- BMI 38 – 39.9: One Week
- BMI 40 – 44.9: Two Weeks
- BMI 50 – 49.9: Three Weeks
- BMI > 50: Four Weeks
- Call your doctor if you’re on diabetes medication prior to starting your 800 calorie pre-op bariatric diet
- Eat/Drink ALL 6 servings of Bari Life supplements per day
- Drink 64 oz of non-caloric beverages every day (fluids included in protein shakes count)
- Mix protein supplements with water
- Space supplements out throughout the day to prevent low blood sugar and hunger
- Take 1 serving (3 tablets/1 scoop) of Bari Life’s Complete Bariatric Vitamin Formula per day
- Take a fiber supplement like Benefiber daily
- Switch to 6 liquid supplements the 2 days before surgery
- Eat any other foods on the pre-op bariatric diet
- Eat/Drink any other protein supplements other than Bari Life supplements
- Mix the protein supplements with milk
While it’s hard to say exactly how much weight you’ll lose and your results may vary, the average patient loses between 6 – 10 lbs per week on the pre-op bariatric diet.
*Always follow your bariatric surgical center’s recommendation for the days leading up to surgery. This is a typical guideline, but your center’s instructions may differ. Always follow the instructions of YOUR bariatric center or seek approval for Bari Life’s protocols before starting.